Wednesday 30 October 2013

DIY // Flower Crown / Headband

Flowers: Choose any colour you like, and also size. My ones were quite average size (not tiny but not huge) so five were the perfect amount to go around my head, but this will change depending on what you choose.
Felt + Thread: I would suggest getting a colour that either matches the flowers, or the felt could even be the same as your hair colour to make it blend in and not be too obvious.
*Bobby Pins (not pictured): Didn't know I would use them until I got to sticking it all together, but you only need a few.
1. Pull all the flowers of their stems GENTLY. I learnt this the hard way when a couple fell apart on me... oops.

2. Measure the felt around your head and headband and cut it, leaving a little extra on all sides which will be trimmed later. Arrange the flowers as you want them.

3. With a pencil I marked the middle of my piece of felt to make it easier when positioning the middle flower when sewing it on, and to make sure it was centered and I wouldn't end up with a lopsided crown.
4. I sewed them on by threading the needle between each leaf and petal, making sure to thread through a few petals, and going around each flower 2-3 times to make sure they were all secure and stood upright.

5. I measured roughly 2.5cm between each flower, but this doesn't matter very much as you can have them closer together or further apart depending on the type of flowers used or just personal preference.
6. Once all the flowers are on, position the felt on the headband again just to make sure it looks good and you're happy with it.

7. Cut the access felt, but still leave a little extra (0.5-1cm max) around the sides to make it a bit easier to work with. Also, cut another strip of felt to roughly the same size as the piece the flowers are sew onto.
8. Run some glue along the felt with the flowers on first and position it on top of the headband. This bit got a little fiddly, but I found the best way to do it was by running some glue along the other strip of felt as well, and then positioning the strip with the flowers on one end of the headband then taking the other strip of felt and sticking it onto that strip of felt from the bottom of the headband and securing them together with a bobby pin. Basically sandwiching the headband between the felt. Then keep going around the headband sticking the two strips together and sliding a bobby pin between each flower, to make sure that they stay together when drying. I left mine overnight, but this depends on the glue you are using. (Hope all than made some sense...)

When all dry, just slide the bobby pins out and trim around the edges so that there is as little excess felt as possible (careful not to trim too much though as it may start to come off the headband).
If you want to make it super sturdy I would suggest stitching around the edges also, to make sure that the two strips of felt are not going to come apart - but this is not essential).
I hope all this made some kind of sense! Haha I must say it was quite fun making the flower crown/headband and doing it as a wee DIY post on here. Hope this may have come in useful for someone, or even as something to have a wee nosey at!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for other things I could do this kind of post on I would luuurve to hear them, or even if I should never do it again...hahah all opinions welcome :)

Lu x

No comments:

Post a Comment